They were good. They were fine.
They were not this one however.
My husband is not a big cake fan. He ate three pieces of this one.
Best of all, i made it in a baking dish 9 x 13 to be specific, and it was probably 3 inches high and well, I’ll not waste time with layers again!
This is so moist it makes ya cry. It’s so chocolatey that your taste buds shiver.
If you don’t make this and love it, you are not human, plain and simple.
This delight comes from Lisa Glass, at JustaPinch.
- 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c sugar
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c strong coffee, cooled
- 1 c buttermilk (for a substitute if you have none on hand, see my page “tips and tricks” )
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Add all the wet ingredients.
- Batter will be quite thin.
- Pour it into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan or 2 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for 35-40 minutes for the 9 x 13, or 30-35 for the cake pans.
- Cool on a rack. And then frost with the following frosting (or your favorite )
STANDARD POWDERED SUGAR FROSTING
- 1/2 c butter softened or melted
- 2 oz (2 wrapped squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 3 TBSP milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all in a mixer and beat until well mixed.
- Let set until it has firmed up (the chocolate with firm up and the butter will as well) meaning wait until it is spreadable without running.
- Frost the cooled cake.
- Hide a piece in the glove compartment of your car, since your family will sneak it all up within a day.