And with good reason.
Frozen ones are almost universally awful, usually being tough and bitter to boot.
So stay with fresh.
But more to the point, it’s what you do with them.
Here’s a way that will get raves at holiday time. In fact most people won’t really know what they are.
- 20 fresh Brussel sprouts, bottom cut off, and a one layer of leaves removed
- 1 lemon
- 1 Serrano chili, finely diced
- 3 TBSP butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take each sprout and shred, either by slicing thinly or using a food processors with shredding blade.
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Pour in the shredded sprouts and chili and saute until softened and al dente. A little browning is okay, but keep the heat medium.
- When done, add juice of 1/2 lemon or more as you desire.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
You can omit the hot pepper if desired. You might also try adding a TBSP of brown sugar instead of the lemon.
- Brussels Sprouts, Bacon & Garlic Recipe (averagebetty.com)
- Twice Cooked Brussels Sprouts w. Almonds Recipe (thatszogood.wordpress.com)