This recipe comes direct and untouched from Elizabeth Handlon at JustaPinch.
I fixed this today for dinner and it turned out wonderfully. We really enjoyed it, and this will be part of my rotating menu forthwith.
I made a weird version of “dirty rice” to accompany it, which I’ll briefly describe. This would also work nicely as an appetizer finger food during game season.
- 1 chicken breast, deboned, and cut into about 8 pieces
- Enough bacon to wrap all the pieces in. (I used 1/2 lb)
- BBQ sauce (she recommends Uncle Baby Ray’s sweet honey)
- soy sauce
- mustard powder
- ginger powder
- garlic powder
- sesame seed oil
- sugar to sweeten if you need it
- (she suggests considering pineapple juice as a possibility as well)
- Wrap the pieces of chicken with the bacon and saute until bacon is crisp. You can bake if you like.
- Mix the rest of ingredients. She does this by feel. I can say I used about 1/2 BBQ sauce, about 1/8 c soy, a tsp mustard, ginger, garlic, about 6 shakes of the sesame oil. And I didn’t use the sugar. My BBQ is sweet.
- Once the bacon is crispy, place in a small baking dish, best if they are kinda cramped which keeps the sauce on top.
- Cover with sauce, and bake for 20-30 min. at 350°.
As to the rice:
I simply used the same saute pan with the bacon drippings, sautéed one cup rice until a bit browned and toasty. Then I added 2 cups beef broth (cuz I had some open! chicken would be fine), covered and reduced until nearly absorbed. I then added a cup of green peas and a cup of corn, and heated through. Salt and Pepper to taste. We used the rice as a bed for the chicken.
Very nice meal.
Serves: 3 as to the chicken.