Yep. It has cake in the name, so it qualifies as a dessert, AND it has oatmeal in it so it qualifies as breakfast food!
Ya can’t beat that.
And I love cake and pie for breakfast.
So I love this.
And it’s easy to make.
And it comes from Susan Sherman at Justapinch.
So all that makes it a winner!
- 1 3/4 C boiling water
- 1 c quick cooking oats
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 butter, softened (melted makes it easier to incorporate)
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 20 oz pkg chocolate chips
- 3/4 c walnuts, chopped (or any other you like)
- Place the oats in a large bowl and pour the boiling water over and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add sugars and butter then eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Sift or whisk together the flour, soda, cocoa and salt, and then add to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in half the chips. (I used 2/3 of the bag but didn’t add the rest on top–I was going to use it for breakfast food after all! :)
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan and sprinkle with the rest of the chips if desired, and the nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (It may be a bit wet. I turned off the oven, propped the door open with a wooden spoon, and left it about 30 minutes. It was still gooey but perfect when I cut it the next morning.)
Serves: Don’t you know by now not to ask me that when it comes to desserts?
**If using as a dessert, a nice sifting of powdered sugar might be nice. Or a dollop of whipped cream.
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)